Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Apple Cider

I like apple cider and made a purchase of four one gallon jugs from Meijer’s a few weeks ago. I thought they would go well with our Turkey Dinner. We had no problem with the first three. But a day or two prior to the expiration date, I saw a jug had ballooned out considerably. I decided to take it back the next day and get a refund. The next day came and I found only about one inch in the jug. It had exploded sending its contents across the counter and onto the floor. The container had been placed in a box with a lid, which likely saved us from a much larger mess. The moral is, if you think the apple juice has turned to apple jack, drink it or take it back, don’t wait.

2 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually you just had the start of a good cider fermentation. An airlock and a month or so, some racking and aging and you could of had a wonderful drink.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger William Larsen said...

oldtimercider.com, I really thought long about just keeping it. I know in the past the drink was just fine. But over the years, I have either forgotten or the cider seems to be process differently, but I was not sure that being "pasturized" would preclude the fermentation process.

I will keep this in mind the next time. I still have two jugs left with an expiration date of 12-15. I could experiment with those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



NBC-33 Debate poll results from 2002